The church of St Mary the Virgin dates to before the 11th
in the peaceful beauty of the South Downs overlooking the Arundel Estate, the church is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Although
parts of the church are preconquest the north transept and the arch to the south transept are early 12th century. The vaulted
chancel is 13th century and the west tower 15th century.
Since 1800 major work has been undertaken including the removal of the south
transept which was not rebuilt until 1868 - at a cost of £225 - with the vicar paying half the cost!
In the late 1800’s the nave was
restored and stained glass was added to the south aisle windows and a new window built in the nave’s north wall. The
53 years of service of Reverend Foster who died in 1898 are commemorated in the stained glass windows in the tower.